Living in Wisconsin this day comes each year and I’m always patiently waiting for it.. the first sight of snowflakes. Now I’m sure there’s a pretty even split between residents here that love the snow and those who dread this day. I’m part of the crazy half of that group that loves loves loves it .. probably almost too much. Look, I understand that there are plenty of reasons to dislike the snow (primarily that it’s really really cold outside and it causes people to drive like jackasses) but there are so many reasons to go cuckoo for the snow!
1. It is a great excuse for pretty much everything. Late for work? Blame the snow. Don’t feel like going somewhere? Say your car is stuck. Want to sleep in? Say the snowstorm knocked out your power.
2. Being a great excuse it also provides for SNOW DAYS! Being an adult with one of those things called a job or whatever provides for many less snow days than when I was in school, however, if enough people can’t make it into the office or if you “don’t feel safe” you can always work from the comfort of your cozy bed! SCORE!
3. Winter sports are pretty much the greatest thing ever. Who has ever gone sledding and not had a good time? Okay.. probably lots of people.. but it made for a good story right?! If you don’t have a good story, I’ll tell you one to cheer you up if you’re a snow hater.
One year, my dad decided he was going to try out snowboarding (hilarious in itself, right?) If you don’t know my dad personally, let me tell you, he’s not the smallest dude ever. As we stood at the top of the hill in Humboldt Park, he was ready to go, stuffed our little white poodle dog, Beau (RIP) in his jacket and set off down the hill. So this park has the best hills in the area for sledding, so kids like to build stuff like jumps to catch some air and more than likely break your back.. So I’m sure you can see where this is going.. My dad was headed straight for the jump and had no time to change his course now. Next thing I know, the dog bails from his jacket, my dad is airborne and things are not looking good. Thankfully, the only thing my dad was going home with that day was a bruised ego and probably a sore body.. but SEE! That’s a great sledding story!
Also, winter = hockey season! (don’t even get me started on how great that is)
4. Experiencing 4 seasons is some really cool shit. Not everyone in the world gets to witness four very distinct changes throughout the year.. I mean, sun + more sun + more and more and more sun sounds pretty wonderful.. but how does anyone ever get anything done!? If it’s nice outside all day, everyday.. then which days do you look forward to? My favorite are the days that you see green grass again after the snow melts, or when the sun is shining in the sky without a cloud in sight for the first time in a month. What about when the leaves start to fall? There is something so special about that. The same thing goes for the first time you see snowflakes this season.. just remember, not everyone gets the pleasure of that.
So last night, I decided I should probably clean/unpack my room. (it’s not like I’ve lived there for 5 months or anything) I found my ski jacket which reminded me of the next place on my vacation bucket list.. Lake Tahoe! I’m all amped up for the snow and I even put on my fur gloves and dreamed about how much I want to go there.
First of all, although I don’t have very major skills, I love to ski. There is something so scary but peaceful at the same time as being out on the slopes. Getting to ride on the ski lift and watch people face plant as they get off.. what gets better than that? So as I said earlier, I’m not the greater skier of all time, but I can only hope my time at Lake Tahoe would be just as fun as my first time (minus the snow patrol of course) I would be totally fine with hanging out on the bunny hill all day with the Swedish 2-year-old’s that can’t walk, but they can ski..
So with skiing comes staying in a ski lodge, obviously. I think this is the most exciting part for me. I love to travel, but when you get there an it is just a generic hotel with the usual, skeezy bed sheets and a minibar you have to pay for. What a rip. But when I envision staying in a lodge, it is a log cabin with a wood burning stove inside.. hot cocoa (on demand of course) fluffy blankets and pillows. I could walk around in my tights and legwarmers without people judging me. Now that sounds like vacation to me.
Now I know it seems silly to go from one cold state to another, but the scenery change is just so beautiful and definitely worth the trip. The last thing on my agenda would definitely be just to do legitimate sight seeing. I know that seems like something you would do anywhere that you go, and that is probably true.. but I’m not sure that they could compete with these:
These pictures remind me the most important reason that people go to Lake Tahoe.. duh! THE CLARITY OF THE WATER! It is the second deepest lake in the United States and the clarity level is 70 feet! That is so crazy and BEAUTIFUL, I’m sure! I’m such a nerd for facts, but I think this is definitely somewhere that I want to check out.
So now that Halloween is over that means only 55 days until the most magical day of the year: December 25.. Oh wait, I mean CHRISTMAS!!!! Yayyy! It’s not like there are any real holidays in between now and then anyway.. jeeze. I don’t care if people think I’m crazy, I love everything about this time of year. So here is a list of reasons that I love the holiday season and think you should to.
1. We are in Wisconsin which means.. we are not too far off from SNOW! I know a bunch of you cringed when you read that, but let’s get real — you live in W-i-s-c-o-n-s-i-n people.. it is expected and if you hate it that much.. you should probably move away.. I , on the other hand, am so amped up about the snow I can barely contain my excitement!
Plus — Snow = the possibility of no work.. and who doesn’t love a good snow day.. that opens up the door to a world of fun possibilities which is like a whole other list.. but includes: sledding, snowmen, hot chocolate, mittens..
2. I love love love Christmas music. There is something about it that just makes me feel better no matter what kind of mood I’m in. There is just something about Wham! that should cheer everyone up.
3. You can put up over the top, ridiculous decorations. If you know me, then you know that I love to be ridiculous and over the top all the time, some call it dramatic.. I call it pizazz.. same thing right? Who doesn’t love sparkly reindeer and neon candy canes!? I’m so excited to be able to fill my house with all kinds of crafts and cute little details.. which brings me to another good point..
4. Holiday season = more craft fairs! Once you get past all of the cat sweaters and weird homemade things that someone clearly made in their basement and smell like White Diamonds.. YOU CAN FIND SOME AWESOME THINGS! With people’s strangeness also comes creativity and once in a while you can find something really worthwhile. I’m a sucker for ornaments, so that is my weakness for sure..
5. Delicious delicious delicious holiday treats that will make you gain a million pounds but you just don’t care because it was worth it. I could go on and on all day about all the delectable cookies, cakes, cider, egg nog, and every other special treat that comes around this time of year.. but I’m sure you all have something in mind yourself that just really gets you in that holiday spirit.
6. All of the lights! I don’t know if it is the little kid in me, but I’m fairly certain I’ll never get over looking at Christmas lights. There is just something so magical about them.. like when you can see them from outside of your house hanging on your perfectly trimmed Christmas tree with every ribbon and bow in its proper place — it makes me want to melt. I know I sound like a total cheese-ball right now (which are also delicious) but for me this holiday means something really special.
So call me crazy, call me Nickie.. whatever you prefer.. but I’m going to continue to be excited about Christmas because it gives me something to look forward to and most importantly one of my favorite parts of the holiday season is GIVING GIFTS. I know most people love to get presents, but I actually feel really awkward when people give me things, so I LOVE the opposite. Wrapping presents and seeing the look on someone’s face when you buy them something they really want gives you the best warm fuzzy butterfly feeling every single time.