Holy cats everybody, it’s 2014! So I’m definitely not really into writing about resolutions and that kind of thing, because personally, I try to set goals for myself throughout the year and not just as the new year begins.. So I’ll skip that part and get right to the point! Over the holidays, I had lots and lots of time to see all kinds of new movies that are out. So instead of reviewing my year, I’ll give you my opinion on a few that I’ve seen lately.. and if you don’t care.. well, get out of here then! Anyway, I’ll start with the most recent and work my way backwards.
First up, THE WOLF OF WALL STREET. Okay, so like most other women, I was in this purely to see Leonardo Di Caprio looking fine as wine. (which he totally did.. it’s like he doesn’t age!) But anyway. Upon walking into the theater, I was given a very grim sort of warning as the clerk selling me the ticket told me that many people have asked for a refund due to its sexual content as well as its vulgarity. So of course this made me want to see the movie even more! I’m not going to put any spoilers in this blog because that’s not really fair, especially if you read them unknowingly. I really didn’t know anything about this movie going in besides the title implies that he’s someone working on Wall Street and now I know there is lots of sex, or at least enough to offend some moms in New Berlin. Coming in just around 3:00 — this movie kept my attention the entire time. There was not one moment that I was getting restless or wanting it to be over. Was it crude, vulgar and have tons and tons of inappropriate things like drug use, hookers and sex? Yes. But so do lots of other movies. I would definitely say this is a MUST SEE for any movie lover (who’s an adult.. obviously. THERE ARE HOOKERS.)
Next, AMERICAN HUSTLE. Alright, so this movie has been hyped up the past couple of months. I was pretty unsure about what to expect after seeing Bradley Cooper with a Jheri curl in the previews. But let’s be real, the second I saw Jennifer Lawrence was in it.. I was hooked. ::sigh:: GIRL CRUSH ::sigh:: So once again, I didn’t know too much, except that it is about a group of con men / women. I don’t know what’s up with movies going back to being over 2 hours long, but this one also was 2.5 hours.. which once again, was fine with me. It had a star-studded cast that surely didn’t disappoint. There were a few slow moments, but overall, this movie definitely has some Oscar contenders in it. It was a great balance of thrill, comedy and drama all rolled into one. See it.
Like the child that I am, I also saw FROZEN. Okay, so before you judge me, the main character is voiced by Idina Menzel, who is my all-time favorite Broadway star / singer. She played Elphaba (the wicked witch of the west sort of character in Wicked) and basically rules at life. Plus, she was married to Taye mother freaking Diggs. So besides the fact that I seemed like a child predator going to see a Disney movie with my other 24 year-old friends, it was pretty dang cute. Yes, I just said dang cute like I am a 40 year-old mom from the south. (I wish I was from the south.. that would rule. I probably would’ve gotten away with saying darn tootin’) But yes. Maybe if you’re a childless adult and don’t want to seem creepy like I felt, wait for it to come out on DVD, but seriously, super cute.
Lastly, I went to see THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY. Ben Stiller, despite his cheesy roles and over the top acting, is a pretty funny dude. He seems like one of those people you could just be friends with and joke with in real life. I realistically have no idea if he really is like that, but he sure seems like it. Anyway, this movie was directed by the man himself, Ben Stiller. I have to say. He did a great job reigning in his usually hyperbolic self. Sometimes that gets to be a little too much or it’s so ridiculous it’s funny, but in this particular film, it was balanced perfectly. Of course there were unrealistic scenes, I mean, it’s the movies.. all of this shit is unrealistic.. but it was definitely a feel good type of movie that would bring up anyone’s spirits.
All in all, the movies that are out right now are pretty freaking awesome, so if you are bored, or you get the chance.. go check one of this out. Or don’t. Whatever.
I was reading an article today titled “21 ways rich people think differently” and immediately it put a bad taste in my mouth. This list goes on and on about how “poor” people think.. and the first thing I thought of was a rich person definitely wrote this. By poor, I think they really mean normal, but those things are probably synonymous to the people who actually subscribe to this bullshit. I’m going to review a few of my favorites that they outlined:
1. Average people think selfishness is a vice. Rich people think selfishness is a virtue.
“If you’re not taking care of you, you’re not in a position to help anyone else. You can’t give what you don’t have.”
REALLY. I mean REALLY?! This is saying that in order to help other people you must be selfish. What kind of bullshit line is that to live by? I should just go through life believing that the only way to help people is by throwing money at them? What about kindness, being there for others or just simply offering anything you can even if it’s just a smile? I would much rather be rich in spirit than ever think that selfishness is a virtue. Looking out for yourself is one thing and being selfish is another.
2. Average people earn money doing things they don’t love. Rich people follow their passion.
That sounds so lovely doesn’t it? Just follow your passion. Fuck all of your bills, debts, obligations.. just follow your passion, and if it doesn’t work out.. oops, excuse me.. that must be something only average people think about. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have a safety net to fall into if my “passion” doesn’t quite work out.. nor do I have the funds to “follow my passion” in the first place. No one works at jobs they don’t love for no reason.. C’mon.
3. Average people teach their children how to survive. Rich people teach their kids to get rich.
Man this list gets more and more upsetting as I keep reading it! My parents taught me how to be rich in ways that have value far greater than any amount of money. They taught me how to care about others around me no matter their social class or shortcomings in life.
4. Average people would rather be entertained than educated. Rich people would rather be educated than entertained.
Average people are such dummies.. isn’t it obvious? ::sigh:: this is such a far-fetched statement it’s unreal. Since the article already covered that average people work at jobs they don’t like and never look toward the future.. Rich people, poor people, the want to learn is something inherent in all of us, it has nothing to do with our social class. I’m not “rich” by any means.. actually, I probably fall under the average to poor category, and I want nothing more than to learn as much as I can all of the time. Sure, having money would make that goal a lot more attainable, but HELLO? have you ever heard of the internet? There are so many ways to learn new things now it’s ridiculous, rich or not, information is at everyone’s fingertips.
Basically, after reading this list I realized a lot of things about myself. I am the average person that they’re talking about. Maybe I’m naive and poor, but I know that I’m rich in many other ways. I care about other people, I have a curiosity that will never be fulfilled, I would rather spend time with people I love laughing together and crying together than living my life for money. There should be an article titled, “when life isn’t just about money” .. or “real life lessons from the average person”. No person is protected from hurt or loss in this world, so all the money in the world isn’t going to teach you what the real world is about. I’m totally cool with being average.
Living in Wisconsin this day comes each year and I’m always patiently waiting for it.. the first sight of snowflakes. Now I’m sure there’s a pretty even split between residents here that love the snow and those who dread this day. I’m part of the crazy half of that group that loves loves loves it .. probably almost too much. Look, I understand that there are plenty of reasons to dislike the snow (primarily that it’s really really cold outside and it causes people to drive like jackasses) but there are so many reasons to go cuckoo for the snow!
1. It is a great excuse for pretty much everything. Late for work? Blame the snow. Don’t feel like going somewhere? Say your car is stuck. Want to sleep in? Say the snowstorm knocked out your power.
2. Being a great excuse it also provides for SNOW DAYS! Being an adult with one of those things called a job or whatever provides for many less snow days than when I was in school, however, if enough people can’t make it into the office or if you “don’t feel safe” you can always work from the comfort of your cozy bed! SCORE!
3. Winter sports are pretty much the greatest thing ever. Who has ever gone sledding and not had a good time? Okay.. probably lots of people.. but it made for a good story right?! If you don’t have a good story, I’ll tell you one to cheer you up if you’re a snow hater.
One year, my dad decided he was going to try out snowboarding (hilarious in itself, right?) If you don’t know my dad personally, let me tell you, he’s not the smallest dude ever. As we stood at the top of the hill in Humboldt Park, he was ready to go, stuffed our little white poodle dog, Beau (RIP) in his jacket and set off down the hill. So this park has the best hills in the area for sledding, so kids like to build stuff like jumps to catch some air and more than likely break your back.. So I’m sure you can see where this is going.. My dad was headed straight for the jump and had no time to change his course now. Next thing I know, the dog bails from his jacket, my dad is airborne and things are not looking good. Thankfully, the only thing my dad was going home with that day was a bruised ego and probably a sore body.. but SEE! That’s a great sledding story!
Also, winter = hockey season! (don’t even get me started on how great that is)
4. Experiencing 4 seasons is some really cool shit. Not everyone in the world gets to witness four very distinct changes throughout the year.. I mean, sun + more sun + more and more and more sun sounds pretty wonderful.. but how does anyone ever get anything done!? If it’s nice outside all day, everyday.. then which days do you look forward to? My favorite are the days that you see green grass again after the snow melts, or when the sun is shining in the sky without a cloud in sight for the first time in a month. What about when the leaves start to fall? There is something so special about that. The same thing goes for the first time you see snowflakes this season.. just remember, not everyone gets the pleasure of that.
You know how people say that something is their spirit animal.. today it hit me. My spirit animal is Kanye West. Insane? I know. But seriously. Today I was listening to The College Dropout (his best album to date.. in my opinion) and I realized all of the ways Yeezy rocks my world.
1. He speaks what’s on his mind.. even if it is EXTREMELY inappropriate timing. We all remember the “imma let you finish” infamous VMA moment where he stole the mic from Taylor Swift as she was about to accept the VMA for female video of the year.. but let’s get real.. HE WAS RIGHT. 2009 was the year that Beyonce put out one of the most iconic pop hits of all time: Single Ladies. Now, I’ve always loved me some T-Swift.. but c’mon, Bey is the ultra pop queen of this century. So even though he was totally bogus for interrupting someone else’s happy moment, he felt like he had to speak the truth.. so how could I fault a person for that?
2. He has the most clever lyrics pretty much ever. 50% of the reason I listen to rap music is because it’s funny.. but the other half is based on my sheer amazement that anyone is able to rhyme that much. Kanye has some of the best lines I’ve ever heard. For example:
“Haters give me them salty looks, Lawry’s” — The Good Life
“What you think I rap for? To push a fucking RAV-4?” — Run This Town
and my personal favorite…
“What she order? Fish Filet.” — People* in Paris (*I refuse to type the n-word)
3. He loves his mama. In 2007, his mom passed away unexpectedly after complications with surgery. He talks about her in a few of his songs, but a year later he preformed a song he wrote for her called “Hey Mama” .. in front of millions of viewers he laid his heart out on the line during a really vulnerable time. I still tear up when I watch the video.. stop judging me.
4. He has a Southpark episode dedicated to him. You know you’ve made it big.. or you’re a pretty big jackass (as quoted by President Barack Obama) to be featured on an episode of one of the most crude shows ever created. Normally, I’m not really a huge Southpark fan.. but anybody that created Book of Mormon has got to be cool in my book.
5. He hyped his album release by projecting his video on the side of a building. I don’t really care if you love him or hate him.. that’s pretty fucking awesome. In 10 cities, on 66 buildings, he debuted the song “New Slaves” to promote his new album Yeezus. That’s some futuristic, over-the-top, totally outside of the box kind of thinking. Kudos, Ye.
So in closing, Kanye can be a real jackass, but he is also a game changer who’s done a lot of cool things in his lifetime too and I think the good parts of him are totally spirit animal worthy.
You know when people say “you always want what you don’t have”…? I’ve never truly believed that. I kind of always thought to myself.. nah, I’m pretty happy with everything I have. And then today I had a moment where I was like.. holy shit, “those” people who say that shit.. are right.. at least about my day today.
When you work in an office, everyone thinks.. cool, you always know your schedule, you’re in the comfort of the indoors and basically that you have lots of luxuries. While some of this may be true, the key thing that is missing is the fact that I never see the outdoors! I have no window in my office, so some days when I come to work, it’s quite possible that a full on hail tornado could rip down the block and I would never even see it coming. I know, woe is me.. you feel bad right? wrong. I’m not asking for pity by any means, but today on a super ultra rarer than rare occasion, I was able to leave the office to make a delivery.
Seriously, I was happier than a camel on hump day (if you haven’t seen that Geico commercial I’m referencing.. watch it immediately) Today also happened to be one of the most perfect of the summer. The sun was shining, there were clouds that looked so fluffy it was as if you could reach up and scoop them right out of the sky with your hands.. I couldn’t get enough of it. To make it EVEN better, I was driving north, toward the prettier part of Wisconsin (minus Slinger Speedway.. haha, sorry Slinger residents.. not a fan) moving on.. there were beautiful fields and flowers and green stuff.. and boy wouldn’t you think I was Snow White walking through some sort of enchanted forest! Immediately, I felt jealous of all of the people who get to be outside on a regular basis.. I’m sure if you’re one of those people, you’re scoffing at how naive I am right now.. but honestly, I think it would be great.. sometimes. There must be some sort of middle ground .. you know, like where you can be indoors when it’s raining and shit, but outdoors on days like today? Oh yeah that’s right.. it’s called being your own boss. Maybe I’ll know what that’s like.. in about 100 years from now.
I’m a pretty lucky kid. I have a sister who kicks ass, but I was also born into a crazy, huge mess of a family. I think sometimes there are special people in your life that you know are going to stick by you no matter what and the best part for me is, we’re both best friends and family .. so I mean, I guess they’re kinda stuck with me. Today is my cousin Lynn’s birthday and I just wanted to take the time to write about how awesome she is. If you don’t know her, you’re really missing out because she’s definitely one super special person.
It started out, well.. that we were cousins, duh. But we both have sisters and they are really close in age, so they would walk to school together, leaving little old me in the dust. Instead of me feeling like the baby of the group (which I am anyway) Lynn and I would walk to school together every morning .. and boy did I feel cool. She would always let me cross in the middle of the block instead of waiting to get to the crossing guard – super ultra badass for a kindergartner.
As we grew up, Lynn has always been there for me and made sure I was included with all of the older kids even though I was probably the pesky little cousin. She let me come to her 16th birthday and play flour power, watch scary movies but my all time favorite was watching Vegas Vacation on repeat. I eventually got old and moved away to college, which sometimes seems like you live in your own little bubble.. but it didn’t matter, she still came to visit me (even in WAUKESHA!)
After graduation, I contemplated moving away but there’s always been this thing in Milwaukee I didn’t want to get away from.. my family. I know they’d love me no matter what, but the truth of it is, I love being around them. Until I was older, I never realized that not everyone in the world sees their family 3-4 times a week and that it wasn’t common practice to just stop in at your aunt’s house and be invited to stay for dinner or to chat for hours in the kitchen. I don’t really care what anyone thinks about me being a “homebody” or how lame it is that I moved back to my comfort zone when I graduated college because these people love me and always will.
So here’s to you Lynnie. You’ve always been one of the most compassionate, sweetest, lovable people I know and you always will be my best friend. Love you!