Yesterday I watched a team take a game to the bottom of the ninth with a 4-run lead and lose.. this must mean that the Brewers season is upon us once again! (I feel as though I have every right to hate on their poor performance yesterday seeing as I have stood by the team since the time I was old enough to know what baseball was.. which in my opinion was probably like when I was 2, I think Milwaukee runs in my blood or something like that..) At any rate, it is my most favored season year-round. Now, I would’ve thought that when I came to college that all of my friends would be die-hard fans like I am for ALL sports, not just baseball.. boy was I wrong. Most of my friends couldn’t care less about listening to me babble on and on and on about “useless” things like how I live for wearing my rally cap and screaming at the TV when Ricki Weeks commits yet another error.. they don’t even blink an eye! So I thought I would take the time to think about all of the things I LOVE about baseball and all of the reasons everyone should love not only the Brew Crew but America’s best sport EVER.
1. Miller Park. It still gives me chills every time I drive past and see that b-e-autiful stadium with the lights so bright you could get a tan and thousands of drunk, brew crew fans. *sigh*
2. TAILGATING. Whether you love sports or not, there is nothing better than getting a whole bunch of friends together and combining the greatest things in the world: Drinking outdoors and Grilling. What more could you ask for?
3. Cheering for someone who is better at something than you. Get your pride out of the way, and realize that Hey! These kids are pretty good at what they do! Nothing boggles my mind more than to think about how young most of the players are and they are cranking out home runs like hitting a ball 400 feet is no big deal. It is a big deal, so I’ll support that. You’re Awesome.
4. Baseball signifies that summertime is just around the corner. Being from Wisconsin, this is an important one for me. Seeing as it’s the beginning of April and the temperature is still 43 degrees outside — I now have hope that the sun will soon be beating down on me as I sweat watching the Crew take it down the very last pitch.
5. The excitement, the fun, those cliff-hanger moments that you convince yourself you could pitch better than someone who is getting paid $8 million. It’s for those moments that you just want to scream out loud when someone drops the ball or when you jump out of your seat because someone just sent a junk ball yard and you never saw it coming. Just typing this is giving me the goosebumps!
So maybe I’ve convinced you, or maybe I haven’t.. either way I’m jacked for some baseball! See you in September Brew Crew. Meet ya at the ‘ship!